Be a Member of Speak Up Newport!
Speak Up Newport (SUN) is a non-partisan citywide residents group organized to promote the common good and general welfare of the Newport Beach community. This is accomplished through:
- Drawing attention to the desirable and unique quality of life in Newport Beach.
- Taking action to inform residents of the issues impacting Newport Beach.
- Celebrating the good things that happen in Newport Beach.
- Recognizing the people who have a positive impact on Newport Beach.
What is the Primary Objective of Speak Up Newport?
The objective of SUN is to provide a forum for all residents to review and discuss the challenges and opportunities for Newport Beach as a model city in which to live, work, play and retire.
What Does Speak Up Newport Do?
SUN organizes a variety of informative programs for community members to attend. Some of these programs are:
- Monthly Public Meetings - These monthly meetings provide residents with the opportunity to hear community leaders speak on issues of importance to Newport Beach. Each meeting is televised on our local cable channel to further reach our community members.
- The Sunshine Award - SUN takes pride in recognizing outstanding citizens who "go the extra mile" to make our City the most desirable place in which to live, work, play and retire. It's our way of letting these people know how much we appreciate their dedication to the betterment of Newport Beach.
- Annual Mayor's Dinner - A tradition for nearly 30 years, this dinner is attended by key community leaders. A Keynote Speaker addresses the audience on issues pertinent to Newport Beach, the Mayor gives a State of the City Address, and past Mayors are honored for their service to the City. For the residents of Newport Beach, this is a "must attend" community event.
- Dorothy Hardcastle Scholarship Awards - SUN awards two scholarships each year: one each to a senior from Corona del Mar and from Newport Harbor high schools.
- Open Debates - SUN believes in creating a forum in which the public can learn valuable information about viral community concerns. This includes debating the important issues that affect us all. Our most popular debates occur at election time, when City Council candidates discuss the issues. These debates are also televised on our local cable channel.
How Can I Become Involved With Speak Up Newport?
We encourage all residents committed to promoting the common good and general welfare of Newport Beach to join SUN in our mission. There are two membership levels available:
- Regular Membership - A $25 annual membership contribution allows SUN to continue informing residents of the issues affecting our community. Members are included on our mailing list and will receive monthly updates from our organization. You will also receive the satisfaction of knowing that you are helping to maintain Newport Beach's status as a model city in which to live, work, play and retire.
- Sustaining Membership - A $50 annual membership contribution includes all the benefits of a Regular Membership plus being listed on the SUN Web site as a Sustaining Member.
2018 SUN Board of Directors
- Edward Selich, President
- Hugh Logan, Secretary
- Marie Marston, Treasurer
Debra Allen, Jeff Boyles, Janis Dinwiddie, Diane Dixon, Tom Fischbacher, Robyn Grant, Kathy Harrison, Rush Hill, Richard Luehrs, Joe Stapleton, Kay Walker, Rhonda Watkins
Jan Debay, Paula Godfrey, Dave Goff, Marilee Jackson, Caroline Logan, Carol McDermott, Mary Petropoulos, Dayna Pettit, Val Skoro, Don Willet, Darryl R. Wold, Pat Zartler
Gloria J. Alkire, Debra Allen, Dennis Baker, Craig & Jean Batley, Seymour Beek, Sally Bender, Philip Bettencourt, Paul Blank , Pamela Blasier-Smith, Homer Bludau, Carol & Walt Boice, Jeff Boyles, Glenn Bozarth, Judy Brady, Jack Callahan, Marie Case, Antonella Castro, Douglas Cotton, Joy Brenner & John Cox, Scott Cunningham, Michael Curci, Colleen D'Aluisio, Donna Marie DiBari, Janis Dinwiddie, Diane Dixon, Thomas Fischbacher, Carter Ford, Chris Garber, Jerry Smith & David Goff, Robyn Grant, Arlene Greer, Phil Greer, Kathy & Ski Harrison, Evelyn (John) Hart, Michael Henn, Kim Henn, Rush & Linda Hill, Jo Carol Hunter, Heather Ignatin, Marilee Jackson, Buck Johns, Max Johnson, Lance M. Larson, Dorothy P. Larson, Caroline Logan, Hugh Logan, Richard Luehrs, Kate Malouf, Logan Malouf, Craig Mardany, Marie Marston, Carol McDermott, Tricia Moore, Kristina Morales, Susan Mulcaire, Jim Parkhurst, Terri Pasquale, Liddy Paulsen, Mary Petropoulos, John Petry, James Ray, Tod Ridgeway, Steve & Gina Rosansky, Alan Rypinski, Alan Rypinski, Pat Rypinski, Pam Selber, Edward Selich, Joseph Stapleton, Scott Svidergol, Lynn Swain, Carl Swain, Michael Toerge, Larry Tucker, Carole (Michael) Wade, Kay Walker, Jim Walker, Paul Watkins, Rhonda Watkins, Don & Jan Webb, Bob Winters, Corky Winters, Dr. Donald Wise